Monday, August 11, 2008

Olympic mercenaries

Maybe I’m over-sensitive, but something I’ve seen in the Olympics really bothers me. I’m used to modern baseball, football, etc teams trading players. The NBA has players from all over the world. Yet, it really bothers me when Olympians, including coaches to some extent, immigrate to other countries for the sole purpose of having an easier road to the Olympics. I guess I think the Olympics are supposed to be different; that it is about representing your country instead of finding an international sponsor so you can get in. I think the Olympics are about each country sending its own, native grown, very best to the games instead of hiring mercenaries to do its athletics for it. There are exceptions, of course, like the now-German gymnast who moved to Germany to find leukemia treatments for her child, but they seem to be the exception, not the rule. Instead this seems like the Olympics are taking yet another step to make them indistinguishable from professional athletics with a four year championship.

No comments: