Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Super Tuesday

We (Illinoisians) vote today as part of “Super-Tuesday” which is apparently from media coverage something like “Sweet sixteen” or “Elite Eight.” I voted this morning on the way to work, and I’m blogging a nit on how I voted.

As far as the Presidential Primary goes, in the GOP the candidate that will do the least damage is the front runner and will probably win. In the Democrat Party, I don’t know which candidate will do the least damage. (I can’t even express how sad/disgusted I am to realize that I can find NO candidate, in ANY party, that I can support; instead I am stuck trying to figure out which one I would mind the least. Is this what democracy has come to?) Besides, if you read this, you probably realize that I consider the GOP a lost cause in the Presidential election.

Locally, I live in what could be tactfully described as a one-party area. Not that we don’t have Republicans around; we do. But they don’t win here. Ever. So voting in the Republican Primary on a local race around here is… pointless. The obvious codicil is that our local races are decided in the Democratic Primary. And locally, there is a race I care about, between two democrats for Appellate Judge. One is a class-action plaintiff’s lawyer; the other is a more rural guy who was picked by his predecessor to fill out the latter’s term.

So, with a deep breath, I asked for a Democrat ballot. You will recall my feelings about primaries being so a party can pick its candidates and I definitely don’t consider myself a Democrat, so you’ll understand why I felt this way.

No comments: